5.12.2008

Development

NB has a developmental delay. That's all we "know" right now. What that tells us, though, is that we need to work with him to help those areas in which he is behind---primarily speech. Because he is over 50% delayed in speech, he is eligible for help from state services, so we will be starting that soon. Yes, tomorrow I have an IEP meeting at the school for PJ5...and next week I have an IFSP meeting for NB. (Ask me if you want to know what that stands for, but essentially it's setting goals for their education/therapy and stating how we will work toward those goals.) I've been through all this before but that doesn't necessarily make it easier.
I had a conversation last night that gave me a better perspective on NB. (thanks, Cerys!) It's hard to know what his social skills are when I don't see him with other kids his age. It's also hard to know if my fears/worries cloud my judgment, so it's good to "see it" through someone else's eyes. I have decided to put him in a MDO program (part-time), so he'll have more opportunities to play with other kids.

No comments: