11.05.2008

Sound Off

Well, I want to have my say about the election.

I am disappointed. I still have a hard time believing that this nation has elected a person who wants to redistribute money from those who work hard to those who have their hands out; who wants to talk to leaders of terrorist-friendly nations without preconditions; who sat under the preaching of someone who preaches that America is a terrible country for 20 years; who has said there should be a "civilian national securty force" with funds equal to the military; who said in an interview "my muslim faith" and was corrected by the reporter, "your christian faith"; who has been friends for years with a person who is an unrepentant domestic terrorist; and I could go on. This is not about race, it is about important issues and the future direction of our country.

That said, I must also say this: I will respect his position and authority as God's Word tells me to do, and I will pray for him that he will have wisdom as he leads our nation.

Some people think we should not speak against the nation's president because that's not showing respect. I can respect his position and our nation, but I don't have to agree with what he says and does. Because I live in this nation of wonderful freedoms, I can speak my disagreements (at least for now I still can!) with his policies and ideology.

We have the privilege and responsibility as citizens of a democracy to cast our votes and to elect the persons we believe will be best for our nation into positions of power and authority. It speaks volumes about our nation today that we have elected this man into power.

Our pastor encouraged us to pray that God would give us the kind of president we need instead of what we deserve; and to pray for His will instead of just what we want. Our Sovereign Lord knows what is best and he sees the bigger picture. We don't know what the future holds but He does and He has promised to be there with us, to the end.

No comments: