11.07.2008

It's official

I am now "officially" the mother of two autistic children. Nathan got a diagnosis yesterday. He is on the autism spectrum; on the mild end.

It was a profitable visit, though. The doctor asked how she could help us, or what we wanted from the visit. So we were able to ask specific questions and get detailed answers.

We were not surprised, really. And in the whole scheme of all the things that have happened this week, on a local level as well as national and global events, this diagnosis seems like a small matter. I am not in despair. I haven't cried (though there may be days I will--I am human).

I told PJ once that for the parents of autistic kids, the pains and sorrows are bigger than those with typical kids; but so too are the joys. Who else rejoices over their child jumping off of a step without holding on to something? Who else marvels over their child pointing at and identifying letters? Some of the small steps in a typical child's growth that are taken for granted are huge leaps for an autistic child. And every success is cause for celebration.

I'm not sure how to end this post, but I do want to thank every one of you who have been praying for us. That does bring tears to my eyes when I think of all the love and prayers of our friends and family. I know that God is still in control. My hope is in Him.

"But I will sing of your strength, in the morning I will sing of your love;
for you are my fortress, my refuge in times of trouble.
O my Strength, I sing praise to you;
you, O God, are my fortress, my loving God."
Psalm 59:16-17

1 comment:

. said...

They are wonderful boys and such blessings. I love you. All of you. Can't wait to give you a hug in the morning.

Love J