2.22.2008

More frustration

Autistic kids can be frustrating, but when they're sick it's even more frustrating. They can't tell you how they feel. They don't like their temperature taken. They won't take their medicine.

Well, PJ5 has "Flu A" according to the doctor. To us that means sore throat, fever, and whatever else may yet happen. They gave us a prescription that is supposed to help shorten the duration, and lessen the symptoms of the flu. But he will NOT take it! We even mixed it in some juice and he took one sip and no more. (We tasted the medicine and it does taste pretty bad.)
So I tried giving him some over-the-counter stuff to at least help him feel better. No success. It doesn't taste that bad---it's made for kids. But he refuses. When I force him to take it, he just pushes it back out of his mouth instead of swallowing. Right now it is in his sippy cup with juice, but he won't even touch it.

If anyone has some ideas, let me know.
In the meantime, us parents just got over a 24-hour stomach bug which has left me feeling weak and tired.
Excuse my rant, but I just had to complain.

1 comment:

. said...

freeze it into a popsicle or ice cubes he can eat. :)